Li Zhi claims hit all-male singing competition infringed his music rights twice.
Popular Chinese talent show “The Coming One” perhaps didn’t see a lawsuit coming when its second season aired last month.
Singer Li Zhi is suing the all-male show for performing his songs without authorization, demanding 3 million yuan ($450,000) in compensation, The Beijing News reported Monday. Li said the show’s producer, Wajijiwa Entertainment, and broadcaster, Tencent Video, had acknowledged the case but not accepted his terms.
“One million for the infringement during season two, another million for [contestant] Mao Buyi using it earlier this year, and the remaining sum will be given to other artists who have had their music rights infringed,” Li said, explaining how he decided on 3 million yuan.
Online singing competitions on the lookout for new talent — similar to Western shows like “American Idol” and “The Voice” — are popular on Chinese TV and online platforms. Continue to read the full article here.
-This is original content by Sixth Tone and has been republished with permission.